Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cathedral Windows and the Desi Quilters


I have always been attracted to the traditional cathedral windows quilting technique, but I never took the time to learn it.  -Until recently!  

For the past couple of months, I have been part of a group known as the Desi Quilters.  Desi Quilters are a group of phenomenal ladies who share two things:  1) a love of quilting and 2) a love of India.  Most are of an Indian ethnicity, but in spite of my lack of an Indian heritage, these ladies have warmly welcomed me into their circle.  They have quilting bees, monthly challenges (like complete a quilt project using only squares or using only monochromatic prints, etc), and small project quilt alongs designed to build  skills.  The small project quilt alongs are my FAVORITE!  Because they are small projects, like pillows or table top decor, they are a quick and easy way to learn and practice new skills.  

For the past several weeks, Chumki at My Favorite Things has guided us through three different techniques that can be used to construct a Cathedral Windows project (the Orange Peel Method, the One Seam Flying Geese Method, and the Traditional Cathedral Windows Method).  So far, I've only tried the Orange Peel Method, but I love the way it turned out.  

I've added a page for the Desi Quilters.  Take a second to check out what these wonderful ladies are up to.  I find them to be so inspiring and supportive.  I love checking in with them each day.  You will, too.  

Don't forget Wednesday (8/8/12) at 8:00pm CST, I draw the winner of the Christmas Charm Pack.  Get in the game by following this link.

-Until Next Time.
Happy Quilting!

10 comments:

  1. Kimberly, you rock! You are a true desi!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kimberley, I'm flattered that you have mentioned me and my blog here. Please do become a member of my blog...I'm doing the same. Love your blog, Kimberley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely finish Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now officially dubbed "Honorary Desi " by soon to be Queen Bee Vidya 1 !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pillow looks great! I love the look of cathedral windows and hope to try them one day. Maybe on something small.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Cathedral Window quilts. It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kimberly, it's nice to meet you -- I really enjoyed the part of #talknt I could be around for last night! The Cathedral Windows pattern in on my quilting bucket list. I think pillows is a great place to start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pillow is beauatiful!!

    I love how cathedral windows come out but I hope to try it one day.

    Did you hand applique the orange peels?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathedral windows look beautiful Kimberly.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete